Saturday, June 18, 2011

Happy Father's Day!

"My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could give another person, he believed in me. "
~ Jim Valvano

One thing I can always say is that my father taught me courage and self-esteem. My confidence can be directly correlated to having someone in my life who believed in me before I even believed in myself. I remember all the times he told me that I was the most beautiful girl in the world. In his eyes I was and that was enough for me. In today's society, there are so many children who don't understand the value of having a good father. A good father is a man who remains your biggest advocate throughout your life. A man who carries a picture of you in his wallet instead of money. A man who listens and advises. A steadfast cheerleader. A protector. The list can go on and on!

Growing up, people would always refer to me as the "spitting image" of my Dad because we look alike I guess. But today, I realize that I have taken all of my best traits from my Dad. His humor. His Generosity. His Confidence. His Love and Compassion for others. And I would be remised if I didn't acknowledge his looks. We do kind of look alike. LOL! I have been very blessed to have this type of man in my life. His example showed me how valuable I am as a woman and helped me to seek out the right qualities in a husband. I have no doubt that Geoff will be the same kind of father to our future children.

My father is far from perfect. However, the way he supports me is perfect. And when he calls me 2, 3, 4 or 5 times a week he begins every conversation with "How are you" and ends it with "I love you". Any man can be a father, but everyone can't be a Dad! I just wish that men would understand the impact that they can have on their children. It isn't about money. It's about time! Even today, I know that if I need an ear I can always call on my Dad and he will always be there.


1 comment: